Sodium in Transition

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steven Lome 11 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Gwendolyn Campbell 
    Participant

I realize this a low sodium diet. That being said, I’m one of those that can jump right in to the WFPB way of eating, with the exception to wanting a salty taste to keep from being bored initially. How important is the sodium aspect vs the animal products aspect when first starting out? I can reduce the sodium as I get used to less. I personally have no issue dumping the animal products. I was told yesterday that I have a blocked artery, so I want to do this. ♡

Steven Lome 
    Keymaster

Hello Gwendolyn! That is a great question and somewhat difficult to answer. All of the dietary patterns heart disease reversal studies (whole food plant based no oil) were quite low in sodium. When consuming this pattern, you may get as little as 500-700 mg of sodium per day. Adding a little bit more sodium, while keeping the sodium content under 2000 mg daily theoretically should not halt the heart disease reversal process. If your blood pressure is high, then of course it would certainly be recommended to stay away from salt as much as possible. I would say that if adding a little salt to food helps you stick to a heart disease reversal plan, then do it.

Remember this however. Salt cravings subside after about 2-4 weeks on a low sodium diet. Also, try using as many spices and seasonings as you can to make things flavorful. Vinegar can also work well to give foods a flavor kick.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2018

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account