Confusion Over Plant-based Milks

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steven Lome 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Gene Pisaneschi 
    Participant

Hello!

I have had a heart attack, and have been stented, twice! So the battle is on. I have been following Dr Esselstyn’s whole food plant-based diet without nuts and oils for 12 weeks. My confusion comes from the fact that I can eat no nuts but milk from almonds is ok? I have tried flax milk but that is made from flax oil. I use only 8 oz. per day with cereal/oatmeal. Could you please recommend what may be the preferable source?

Thanks!

Steven Lome 
    Keymaster

Great question! The goal of any heart disease reversal diet, whether Dr. Esselstyn’s, Ornish or Pritikin, is to keep total calories from fat to 10% or just slightly less. While in the Pritikin days plant based milks were not as widely available, they certainly are now and are markedly healthier than dairy skim milk, which was actually included in the Orinish diet in small amounts.

Esselstyn does advise his patients that small amounts of plant milks are allowed as long as again the overall calories from fat are near the 10% level. His favorite plant based milk that he personally uses is oat milk.

There is really no data to support using one plant based milk over another. Many people like flax milk since the omega-3 fatty acids are included, however omega-3s can be easily obtained with ground flax seed or other sources.

Simply do not overdo the plant based milks and you will be fine. What you are currently doing should keep you on the path to heart disease reversal and a long, healthy life! Keep it up!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2017

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account