2.64 MD – Legumes, Nuts and Seeds
The Mediterranean Diet includes 1-3 servings per day of legumes and nuts which can include:
- About 1.5 ounces of nuts (almonds, walnuts or peanuts)
- ¼ cup of fat free refried beans or baked beans
- Two tablespoons of sunflower seeds or sesame seeds
- One tablespoon of peanut butter
- ½ cup of beans (navy, pinto, black, garbanzo, kidney) or lentils
Legumes and beans are high in fiber and nuts are high in unsaturated fats, which both have a good effect on cholesterol levels. Remember nuts have a large amount of calories, so do not overeat these. Also, avoid nuts that are candied, honey roasted or high in salt. Just simply eat them plain.